This is easy to overlook as an educational app as so many of us use it on a day-to-day basis for mundane tasks, however Google Maps (and other mapping apps) offer you a window on the world, which as an educator you’d be foolish to overlook. Here are a few ideas which have worked well for me:
– Transport children straight to topics you’re covering, such as the Nile for Ancient Egypt, the Indus Valley or Sutton Hoo.
– Use satellite images to contrast different locations, e.g. rural vs urban.
– Can children find their own house, or any other given locations?
– How can you search effectively for a feature or location?
– Using directions, how far is it from one location to another, there’s lots of scope for problem solving around questions like this.